It’s here, it’s here! A whole month to celebrate zen. September is National Yoga Month. It’s time to do what makes your soul happy. Yoga is a practice that holds a spiritual connection through breath control, meditation, and physical postures.Yoga is a lifestyle that exudes positivity. The most popular and possibly the most beautiful word ever said in yoga is Namaste — to which there are many interpretations, the Dolls’ favorite being: “The divine light in me bows to the divine light in you.”
Yoga is a light, which once lit, will never dim. The better your practice, the brighter the flame.” ~ B.K.S. Iyengar
Yoga is 99 percent practice and one percent theory.” ~ Sri Pattabhi Jois
So much magic lies beyond our fears.” ~ Kathryn Budig
The benefits are endless, but we’ve curated our top ten reasons to practice yoga and a special recipe for you to kick off the month.
Benefits of Yoga:
- Improved Posture – If you are sitting at a computer screen all day – yoga will change your life!
- Better Balance – Stand on one leg, conquer the world. This balance is both physical and mental.
- Stress Relief – Calm the mind and center yourself.
- Toned Muscles – Have you heard of chaturanga arms?
- Sharpened Mind – Several asanas (poses) increase blood flow, stimulate brain activity and trigger memory.
- Boosted Energy – Yoga activates the circulatory system and awakens the nervous system — breathing new life (prana) into the body.
- Improved Breathing – Poses stretch the chest, stimulate the lungs, and can even be therapeutic for asthma.
- Enhanced Mood – Studies show that yoga raises levels of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric, low levels of which have been linked to depression.
- Weight Loss – Yoga boosts your metabolism, and the poses WERK your muscles.
- Increased Libido – Bow chicka wow wow!
Healthy plants and trees yield abundant flowers and fruits. Similarly, from a healthy person, smiles and happiness shine forth like the rays of the sun.” ~ B.K. S Iyengar
When you feel good on the inside, your beauty shines outward. We’ve put together our favorite smoothie bowl recipe for you to enjoy, featuring two special superfoods.
ACAI: This delicious low-glycemic berry provides vibrant antioxidants, omega fats, and fiber. Adding this to your diet keeps the heart healthy and prevents signs of skin aging.
HEMP: These little seeds are filled with protein and fiber! They also regulate the metabolism, make your skin glow, hair grow and strengthen your nails. Learn more about hemp here.
Place the banana, coconut milk and acai powder in a blender, and blend until creamy. Add frozen blueberries and blend again to combine. Pour the acai mixture into a serving bowl. Arrange your desired toppings – fresh fruit, granola, coconut flakes and hemp seeds in neat piles or rows on top of the acai. Then take a photo!
Put your heart, mind, intellect and soul even into your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.” ~ Swami Sivananda
The Doll in us honors the Doll in you. How will you celebrate National Yoga Month?
Caitlin and Danielle are wearing “Your Vibe Attracts your Tribe” crop tops by Festy Besty.
Caitlin’s mermaid yoga pants are made by sustainable line Teeki.
All photos of Caitlin + Dani taken by our bearded photog, Josiah Thorngate.