There is no time like the present to further your knowledge on a topic that you’re passionate towards, add a skill to your list or just to challenge yourself. No matter what is going on in your personal or professional life – make time for yourself to achieve the goals that make your happy. For the Dolls, we chose to begin our Yoga Teacher Training RYT200.
Here’s the thing, even though it may seem difficult to find the time and money, it’s so important to take care of yourself and invest in yourself. Where there is a will, there’s a way! Look into payment plans, ask your place of work about tuition reimbursement options.
Together, the Dolls have over fifteen years of yoga experience and have practiced all over the country. We empowered each other to take the next step, and further our education by working towards our yoga instructor’s licensees together, Goddess style.
CC and D have used their practice to relieve stress, create balance and calm the mind in their happily-ever-after-fast paced lives.
Like going to any new experience or class, Caitlin and Dani went in excited for the unknown and eager to learn. As good students, we made sure to get plenty of sleep the night before and power up before class with a vegan protein smoothie. We recently started using VeganSmart protein powder and love it!
Here’s our go-to morning recipe:
- 1 cup frozen or fresh fruit of your choice – we like to use frozen assorted berries.
- ½ cup fluid of your choice, almond milk, coconut milk, milk, water, coconut water – The Dolls prefer Califia Farms delicious coconut almond milk blend
- 1 handful of greens – We like Organic Girl 50/50 blend.
- 1 serving of nutrient powder of your choice – We LOVE VeganSmart nutritional shakes because they include important digestive enzymes.
- Put in a blender, mix and ENJOY!
Yoga training started the second week in February and will end around May 14th. The training is held at a wonderful studio – Yoga Loft in River North. This 200-hour course is definitely a commitment to say the least. We will even be giving up every other weekend to spend 12 hours in the studio, and we couldn’t be more blissed out about it.
One of our many Doll Daydreams is to open a studio of our own in the next five years, providing a style of class you didn’t know your heart desired! The Dolls are following their dreams one month at a time (LOL). If you want to follow their journey too, add the Snapchat user name: dani_somm or Onceuponadollhouse.com
The Dolls went into our first class with open minds and hearts and left with the feeling of their heads spinning. It’s been a while since either Caitlin or Danielle felt that way. Yoga Teacher Training is intense but worth it. In the first two days they were learning Sanskrit (YES! another language) and attempting to teach the class the first sequence in Asthanga Yoga. As the weeks go on, the journey will be probably become easier as the movements, words, breaths and counts become like second nature.
Follow along! Here are the steps in Doll words for this sequence, perfect sequence for beginners!
• Begin in Samasthiti, or equal standing posture. Bring your toes together, heels slightly apart and arms at your side.
• Inhale and sweep your arms overhead with hands to touch. Bring your drishti, or gaze, to your fingertips.
• Exhale, release your palms and fold forward, letting your gaze follow your palms. Lay your hands flat to the ground. If that is too difficult, slightly bend your knees or walk your hands forward. Uttanasana.
• Inhale, bring your gaze forward towards your nose with a flat back. Fingertips touching the floor, or your shins if that’s more comfortable. Ardha Uttasana.
• Exhale, plant your hands and step or jump back to plank and flow through chaturanga.
• Inhale, straighten your arms and lift your torso and legs off the floor. Top of your feet are pressed to the mat. Dhristi is towards your nose. Upward Facing Dog.
• Exhale, press into your arms and gaze towards your belly. Roll your toes and distribute your weight evenly. Downward Dog.
• Inhale, bend your knees and look forward. Step or hop to the top of your mat returning to Ardha Uttanasana.
• Exhale, forward fold. Uttanasana.
• Inhale, bring your arms overhead to reach above your head in prayer.
• Exhale, Samasthiti.
CC and Dani will keep you up to date on their weekly progress. If you’re brave enough to let us teach you a bit, send an email to link up.
Weekly fun fact! Asthanga Yoga is a type of yoga that means the 8 limbs of Yoga:
- Yama: How we relate to the outside world.
- Niyama: Personal observances within ourselves.
- Asana: Body postures.
- Pranayama: Control of prana, or breath.
- Pratyahara: Control of senses.
- Dharana: Concentration and cultivating inner awareness.
- Dhyana: Devotion, meditation on the Divine:
- Samadhi: Union with the Divine – enlightenment.