As America hits the pause button on usual activities and hunkers down at home, the Dolls know that businesses must forge ahead. That means, working from home! For many this concept is totally new, exciting, and even a little scary. Caitlin and Danielle have plenty of experience in this arena from their startup Dollhouse Social, and are sharing their best tips for productivity while you practice social distancing and work from home.
5 Tips to Work from Home
- Create a Designated Work Space – If you don’t already have a home office, you can set up a temporary work station that you will be efficient at. Avoid working from the couch or any area where you will be distracted too easily. The kitchen table can be a great place to set up.
- Wake Up and Get Dressed Every Day – We recommend keeping your alarm set at its typical time – just think of what you could do with the time spent on your morning commute! While the opportunity to stay in your PJ’s all day may be tempting, we highly recommend that you take the time to get a little Dolled Up! This sets the tone for your day. Shower, brush your teeth, do your hair and put on something professional yet comfortable. A tinted moisturizer, mascara and a little lip color will brighten you up.
- Establish Structure with a Schedule and Routine – Vow to be diligent during working hours and limit distractions. Remember, it’s our responsibility to keep the economy going by running our businesses! Make your snacks and lunch ahead of time to keep the day running smoothly. What is your response rate for emails and phone calls in the office? Make sure that you are responding to your team in a timely manner. Team communication is so important! Set up daily check-ins with your direct superiors and direct reports.
- Embrace Video Culture – Having virtual face-to-face time is so important. And luckily, we all have the technology at our fingertips. Zoom is one of our favorite ways to conduct business meetings.
- Manage stress – There are so many great ways to manage stress and we are always here to support! This could be as simple as taking a break and going for a walk, practice yoga, drink some herbal tea. Pause whatever you are doing – and take a deep breath. Since you’re at home have fun with it – put on your favorite music and have a 5 minute dance party! Enjoy a little snuggle sesh with your pet.
Our society has never faced a pandemic like the Coronavirus. It is our hope that we can spread some positivity and calm in these uncertain times. It’s now – more than ever – that we need the positivity! Our recommendation: Take five minutes to focus on one or a few things that you are grateful for.
All photos were taken by Victoria Chuk at Marcus in Hinsdale (before social distancing). Don’t forget to support your local businesses – we all need each other!
Sending everyone love. Be well, and wash your hands!