The Dolls have a new hair DIY video today! You’re going to love this easy fishtail braid tutorial. The style is on trend and looks so much more complicated than it really is. What more can you ask of a hairstyle?
With this look, three braids become one. Your hair, your tresses, your beautiful mane is one of your best accessories in my opinion. This braid looks amazing paired with a casual outfit – like your favorite jeans and a comfy sweater for instance.
If you are a beginner at fishtail braids, this is the perfect opportunity to step up your braid-game to on fleek status (may even have to start wearing this tee). This braid looks ornate, but honestly is not that hard!
During this tutorial I’ll teach you the basic fishtail braid. Your arms will even get a little break from braiding because you are separating the three braids by tying a pony at different points.
If this Doll can do it herself, so can you! Watch the video below and read the instructions listed underneath.
3-in-1 Fishtail Braid DIY Instructions:
- Start with clean, dry hair. A texturizing spray can help build volume and grit for an on-trend textured braid. I’ve already detangled my tresses with this brush and you’ll see me smooth my locks with this brush.
- Separate a small section at the forefront of your hair for a high quarter ponytail. I suggest pulling a section in line with the edge of each eyebrow. Secure with a clear elastic band and pull the pony apart to your desired looseness – this helps add some volume to your look.
- Start your first of three fishtail braids. Here’s how: Separate your quarter ponytail into two sections (left and right). Select one small portion of hair from the outer edge of the right section and transfer that to left section to become part of that section. Repeat on the opposite side and keep alternating sides through the end of the braid. It’s important to only transfer a small portion of hair each time to get the perfect fishtail braid. I know this sounds a bit complicated, but keep the instructions in mind as you watch the video. You’ll get it!
- Tie the end of the braid and pull pieces apart for a full boho-style braid.
- Pull your hair into a half pony and tie with a clear elastic band. Give your arms a shake if you need to – it’s time for a little rest!
- Begin your second of three fishtail braids. Follow the instructions above. Is it getting easier?
- Tie with a clear elastic band and pull the braid apart for a full, voluminous look. I also like to loosen up the half pony at this point.
- Tie your remaining hair into a low ponytail at the nape of your neck.
- Begin the final of three fishtail braids. Follow the instructions above. Easy peasy, right?!
- Tie your final braid off at the end and loosen up those tresses for a full boho braid.
- Done and done. Strike a pose!
Psst! Treating your hair to shampoo and conditioner specifically formulated for blonde hair will keep your color light and fresh!
Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says
I am going to have to try this. I Have never had any luck trying to do fancy braids on my own hair.
Good luck, Robin! We have a feeling you’ll master this one 🙂
I have long hair too and hardly do anything with it. I need to branch out!
You should totally try this!
Monica @MonicaWantsIt.com says
This is gorgeous! My hair is so curly that I’d end up looking like a hot mess. I envy girls with beautiful, shiny, straight locks. <3
Aww thanks, Doll! I’ve always wanted curly locks so there you go 🙂 XO
Monica @MonicaWantsIt.com says
This is gorgeous! My hair is so curly that I’d end up looking like a hot mess. I envy girls with beautiful, shiny, straight locks.
Amber NElson says
That is adorable. I’m going to practice on my daughter’s hair. This looks so adorable!
This is amazing! I love the look of these braids and I always thought they were too hard, but I think I can do this!
So beautiful. I don’t know if I could do that. My fingers aren’t coordinated enough.
Hi Beth, thank you! Practice makes perfect. You would be surprised how fast you can learn 🙂
Great tutorial, I’m always amazed by these fancy braids, planning to try them and then I’m just in a hurry so I make a ponytail and go 🙂 But it looks so pretty, I HAVE to make it one day!
Thanks, Doll! You should totally try it when you have the time 🙂
You make it look so easy. I have always wanted to do this. Thanks for this tutorial.
Thanks, Doll! More tutorials coming soon. Any requests? XO
I love this look so much! I can’t wait to give this a try! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Doll! XO
Amanda Love says
That’s a great tutorial and an even cuter hairstyle. Not sure I can do that with my type of hair though however. 🙂
Thanks, Amanda! Come back to the Dollhouse soon, we have an open door policy 🙂
Beautiful! I used to do this to my hair a long time ago! I love it, it is so easy!
Amy Jones says
Great tutorial! I’m always looking for new hairstyles and this definetely my style!
Thanks, Amy! We hope you try this out. It’s one of our favorites 🙂
oh wow this looks beautiful! And you make it look SO easy! I just know that if I tried it, it would NOT look like yours! Thanks for sharing
Hey, D! Give it a try and let us know how it goes. We’re sure you will look beautiful! XO
Blythe A. says
Now I wish my hair was longer so I could make it look as beautiful as it does in your pictures. I’m not the best a braiding, but I really want to try this out.
Thank you, Doll! There are tons of beautiful braids for short hair too. XO
So pretty! I can never get braids to look right on my hair! Having major hair envy right now! xx
Logan Can says
This is the coolest looking braid! I still haven’t managed the standard fishtail braid, but I need to seriously practice so I can do this!
Lottie L'Amour says
This is a really good tutorial! I love a fishtail braid, I just have the worst butterfingers – I’m feeling confident to try again though!
Hi Lottie, You can totally do this one! Let us know how it goes, Doll. XO
I’ve wanted to know how to do this for a while now but never had the time to find out how… until now… I will give this a try. thanks!
Hi Eloise, Can’t wait to hear how it turns out 🙂 XO
This is so cute! I love braids but I haven’t done a fishtail braid in so long! I’m going to have to try this.
Molly and Stacie
Thanks Molly & Stacie! XO
Chrisy @ Homemade Hooplah says
Great tips! I’ve tried doing this braid before (without much success) but your tutorial makes it look so easy. My hair is finally getting long enough that I can try this again – can’t wait!
Hi Chrisy, Definitely try it and let us know how it goes! Good luck. XO
icc world t20 says
I’d like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this blog.
I really hope to see the same high-grade blog posts by you
in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has
motivated me to get my very own website now 😉
Chrissa - Physical Kitchness says
This.is.amazing!!! I so want to do this with my long hair. It’s so fun yet classy!
Thank you, Chrissa! You’re a doll 🙂
Shelly @ Behind Blue Eyes says
Thank you for the great tutorial. I never knew how to do a fishtail braid. My daughter and I both have long hair so this is something I would incorporate for the both of us!
HI Shelly, Yes! Totally agree that this look would look beautiful on your daughter and yourself. Please let us know how it turns out! XO
I would love to learn how to do this. My hair was very long, now its short since I needed and wanted and new look and style. I am missing my long hair now. I will save your video for when I can do this.
Hi Nicole, A hairstyle change is such a nice refresh! I’m sure your locks are gorgeous. XO