Each day at the Dollhouse poses a new challenge, a new adventure and exciting opportunities. For Caitlin and Danielle, the only constant they know is that they will remain by each other’s side through it all. So what is a typical day like for these best friends? ABC 7 Chicago followed the Dolls around to find out.
The segment titled “Being an Influencer in Chicago” airs March 10, 2021 on ABC7 Chicago. Make sure you tune in!
Honestly, each day of our life is quite different. That’s part of what we LOVE about our careers. For instance, we could be glued to our computer screens working on social strategy, editing photo/ video, creating graphic designs and digital ad campaigns for Dollhouse Social clients. We could be out in the field, creating on-site photo and video for clients. We could be filming modules for our Small Business Social Media (SBSM) Academy. We could be recording one of our Doll Talk Podcasts.
Throughout it all – we are documenting our interests, passions, beliefs and joys on this very blog and our popular Instagram @onceuponadollhouse. Sharing our story has become more than a passion – it’s part of our identity. And we do it all together!
The number one question we get from fans, followers, friends, family… even during our interview with ABC7 Chicago is…. (drum roll)… do we fight?
We have been friends for six years and started Once Upon a Dollhouse FIVE years ago! Because we live and breathe ALL things Once Upon a Dollhouse, it makes for a special dynamic.
7 Tips to Work with Your Best Friend
- Trust – This is first on our list with good reason. Trust is the backbone of our relationship, and we’ve actively worked on it over the years. No matter what happens, we trust that we have each other’s best interest at heart. This simple understanding has guided our journey to build Once Upon a Dollhouse, the Doll Talk Podcast and Dollhouse Social.
- Communicate – We are in CONSTANT communication with each other! In person, FaceTime, texts, shared notes, you name it. We even joke that we have our own language and can read each other’s minds. Verbally talking things out has kept us strong. That means that we don’t shy away from difficult conversations with each other either. No silent treatment, no ghosting. Since we have an underlying trust and understanding with one another, no topic is off limits.
- Be Cheerleaders – We are each other’s hype girls, our own best advocates who cheer each other on. Every win is a reason to celebrate with a huge hug, a happy dance and endless encouragement. There are some things that are even better with best friends and we embrace these moments.
- Compromise – It’s inevitable that we aren’t going to agree on EVERYTHING. With two passionate Dolls at the table, we work on hearing each other out. We mean really listening to one another… and again, trusting each other. Through compromise, we have pushed each other to get uncomfortable and even grow.
- Know Each Other’s Strengths – We often refer to each other as a Yin Yang vibrancy. We are different… in the best way. Our strengths + weaknesses complement one another. Part of our magic is that we can divide and conquer responsibilities based on our talents.
- Make time for all Aspects of your Relationship – Sometimes it’s hard to find the line between friendship and work. At this point, it’s so intertwined… and that works for us for the most part. There are moments when we need to show compassion for the personal aspects of our lives and put work to the side. That’s OK. There are other moments we set aside to be silly and have fun. That’s OK too. As long as we are rooted in trust, communication and compromise, we know we can find the balance.
- Set Goals + Intentions – Life is ever-changing and at any point in time, we believe that we can positively impact our own destiny. We try to set new goals for ourselves often. It keeps us emotionally invested in our brand and mission.
This was a very special photoshoot that we will treasure forever – a mix of work, best friend time and reaching our dreams. A very special thank you to all our partners:
- Hair & Makeup – Johnson + Melissa from Paul Rehder Salon (book here)
- Jewelry – LAGOS Jewelry (shop here)
- Gowns – Mira Couture (visit their site)
- Shoes – Christian Louboutin (shop here)
- Photography – Joe Underbakke (visit his site)
- Suite: Swissotel Chicago (our exact suite)
Would you work with your best friend?