The Dolls have a new hair DIY video today! You’re going to love this easy fishtail braid tutorial. The style is on trend and looks so much more complicated than it really is. What more can you ask of a hairstyle?
With this look, three braids become one. Your hair, your tresses, your beautiful mane is one of your best accessories in my opinion. This braid looks amazing paired with a casual outfit – like your favorite jeans and a comfy sweater for instance.
If you are a beginner at fishtail braids, this is the perfect opportunity to step up your braid-game to on fleek status (may even have to start wearing this tee). This braid looks ornate, but honestly is not that hard!
During this tutorial I’ll teach you the basic fishtail braid. Your arms will even get a little break from braiding because you are separating the three braids by tying a pony at different points.
If this Doll can do it herself, so can you! Watch the video below and read the instructions listed underneath.
3-in-1 Fishtail Braid DIY Instructions:
- Start with clean, dry hair. A texturizing spray can help build volume and grit for an on-trend textured braid. I’ve already detangled my tresses with this brush and you’ll see me smooth my locks with this brush.
- Separate a small section at the forefront of your hair for a high quarter ponytail. I suggest pulling a section in line with the edge of each eyebrow. Secure with a clear elastic band and pull the pony apart to your desired looseness – this helps add some volume to your look.
- Start your first of three fishtail braids. Here’s how: Separate your quarter ponytail into two sections (left and right). Select one small portion of hair from the outer edge of the right section and transfer that to left section to become part of that section. Repeat on the opposite side and keep alternating sides through the end of the braid. It’s important to only transfer a small portion of hair each time to get the perfect fishtail braid. I know this sounds a bit complicated, but keep the instructions in mind as you watch the video. You’ll get it!
- Tie the end of the braid and pull pieces apart for a full boho-style braid.
- Pull your hair into a half pony and tie with a clear elastic band. Give your arms a shake if you need to – it’s time for a little rest!
- Begin your second of three fishtail braids. Follow the instructions above. Is it getting easier?
- Tie with a clear elastic band and pull the braid apart for a full, voluminous look. I also like to loosen up the half pony at this point.
- Tie your remaining hair into a low ponytail at the nape of your neck.
- Begin the final of three fishtail braids. Follow the instructions above. Easy peasy, right?!
- Tie your final braid off at the end and loosen up those tresses for a full boho braid.
- Done and done. Strike a pose!